Critical Illness Insurance Quote Calculator
Doctors of BC Critical Illness Insurance is here for you.
It’s always tough to think about, but as a doctor, you know it happens every day: a critical illness diagnosis. It’s difficult enough to deal with emotionally, so the financial difficulties it can cause can make a bad situation even worse. What’s most important is to focus on recovery.
Doctors of BC Critical Illness Insurance is designed to help you and/or your spouse reduce that financial stress if you’re diagnosed with a covered medical condition.
You and/or your spouse may apply for $50,000 to $500,000 in coverage, in $10,000 units.
Please note: Evidence of insurability is required for any application except as noted under “no proof of good health” offers and student offer.
How you spend your lump-sum benefit payment is entirely up to you. Use it to meet expenses not covered by your government health care plan or other existing insurance plan, to buy specialized equipment, to make home modifications, or even to allow a loved one to take time off work to care for you.
The plan for you and/or your spouse covers 25 critical conditions (listed alphabetically):
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Aortic surgery
- Aplastic anemia
- Bacterial meningitis
- Benign brain tumour*
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Heart attack
- Heart valve replacement or repair
- Kidney failure
- Loss of independent existence
- Loss of limbs
- Loss of speech
- Major organ failure (on waiting list)
- Major organ transplant
- Motor neuron disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Occupational HIV infection
- Parkinson’s disease
- Severe burns
* There is no coverage for cancer and/or benign brain tumour of any type if the insured is diagnosed with such condition and the diagnosis was made, or any symptom or medical problem was determined, which initiated the investigation leading to a diagnosis of cancer and/or benign brain tumour, within ninety (90) days following the effective date of the coverage. However, insurance coverage under all other covered illnesses excluding cancer and/or benign brain tumour will remain in force.
Coverage is portable
If you are insured, you may continue your coverage under this plan anywhere in the world, subject to the policy exclusions under “What is not covered by this plan?” found within this brochure, provided you remain a member of Doctors of BC or the Yukon Medical Association (YMA). Doctors of BC has a low-cost out-of-province/Canada membership category to assist you in maintaining your insurance coverage.
Coverage available without proof of good health
You and/or your spouse can apply for up to $50,000 of coverage without proof of good health** within 90 days of the following events:
- becoming a new Doctors of BC member
- completion of medical school
- completion of a residency program
- marriage or eligible common-law relationship
- birth or legal adoption of a child.
If you apply for more than $50,000 of coverage, you’ll need to answer some health questions or complete medical tests.
Note: The maximum coverage available without proof of good health is $50,000 for all events combined.
Pre-existing conditions limitation
For Critical Illness Insurance amounts issued without proof of good health, no benefit will be paid for any critical illness that occurs within 24 months of an insured person’s effective date of coverage, and that results from any injury, sickness or medical condition (whether or not they were diagnosed) for which an insured person:
- had symptoms, consulted a physician or other health care practitioner, or
- was provided any health-related care, advice or treatment, or
- that a reasonably prudent person with such injury, sickness or medical condition would have consulted a physician or any other health care practitioner.
** At the time of application. Critical Illness Insurance that does not require health information will not cover any pre-existing medical conditions.
Two additional riders are available to you.
Waiver of Premium
If you become totally disabled before age 65 and the disability lasts for at least six consecutive months, you’ll no longer have to pay premiums for your coverage.
Child Critical Illness✝
Coverage is available from a minimum of $5,000 to a maximum of $20,000, in units of $5,000. The coverage amount applies to each child regardless of how many children you have. One premium covers your eligible child or children for the same 25 critical conditions as the member/spouse plan, plus an additional six illnesses:
- Cerebral palsy
- Congenital heart disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Down syndrome
- Muscular dystrophy
- Type 1 diabetes
✝An eligible child is one that: is not married, is dependent on you or your spouse for support, and is under the age of 21 (age 25 if the dependant is a full-time student), including adopted children and stepchildren, or children of any age if incapable of supporting themselves because of physical or mental disability. Once you opt for coverage, newborn infants are automatically covered. You must also have coverage in order to obtain dependent child coverage.
Here's how to apply:
604 638 2909